Released today by Centaur Records, this much anticipated album features renowned British counter-tenor Ryland Angel, Ars Lyrica Houston's Artistic Director Matthew Dirst on a Baroque-style Fritts organ, and a quintet of Ars Lyrica string players.
"It's a program that explores the richly expressive repertory of 17th-century German sacred music for voice and instruments. This was the first great flowering of art music in the Protestant church: sophisticated yet heartfelt music that encapsulates the joys and sorrows of the early modern age." - Artistic Director Matthew Dirst describes the repertoire.
"Heart and Soul" was recorded in 2013 and is the fourth commercial release for the Houston- based early music ensemble in the last three years. Previous Ars Lyrica recordings garnered considerable international acclaim: Gramophone, the leading journal of the classical recording industry, praised Ars Lyrica's debut CD for its "exemplary skill and taste," the ensemble's musicians for their "impassioned performance" of never-before recorded works by Alessandro Scarlatti; while Ars Lyrica's world première recording of Johann Adolf Hasse's Marc Antonio e Cleopatra, was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Opera 2011.
About the "Heart and Soul" Program
- Johann Christoph Bach: Ach, dass ich Wassers Gnug hatte
- Johann Rosemuller: Sonata Decima a 5
- Christoph Bernhard: Was betrubst du dich, meine Seele
- Dietrich Buxtehude: Nun lob mein Seel den Herren, BuxWV 213
- Adam Krieger: Der Liebe Macht herracht Tag und Nacht
- Dietrich Becker: Suite s 5 (from the Musikalische Fruhlingsfruchte)
- Dietrich Buxtehude: Auf meinen lieben Gott, BuxWV 179
- Johann Philipp Krieger: O Jesu, du mein Leben
- Samuel Scheidt: Warum betrubst du dich, meine Seele
- Philipp Heinrich Erlebach: Trocknet euch ihr heissen Zahren
- Dietrich Becker: Paduana a 5
- Adam Krieger: Der hat gesiegt, den Gott vergnugt
ABOUT RYLAND ANGEL
Born on St Cecilia’s day, the British counter-tenor Ryland Angel has built an international reputation on both the opera and concert stage, in repertoire ranging from the Baroque to new operatic commissions at major opera houses, concert halls and festivals throughout Europe and the USA. (Read Full Bio HERE)